Palo Cathedral was constructed on 1596, under the direction of the Jesuits who founded Palo in Cebu. It was used sometime for their residences. The cathedral was taken over by the Augustinian on 1768 and by the Franciscans on 1843. Then was repaired by Father Agustin de Consuegra who built the two towers on 1850. Then by Father Pantaleon de la Fuente who installed a clock on the facade on 1896. It was proclaimed as a cathedral on March 25, 1938 by First Bishop Msgr Manuel Mascarinas. It was also used as hospital on October 1944 to March 1945 by American Liberation forces.